Our mission is to serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world. Drawing strength from our global diversity, resources and experience, we promote innovative solutions and are advocates for global responsibility. We facilitate lasting change by:
- Strengthening capacity for self-help
- Providing economic opportunity
- Delivering relief in emergencies
- Influencing policy decisions at all levels
- Addressing discrimination in all its forms
Guided by the aspirations of local communities, we pursue our mission with both excellence and compassion because the people whom we serve deserve nothing less.
Our Strategic Objectives are:
- To strengthen processes that support the return of people to their homes of origin, or to provide alternative solutions to the problem of sustainable livelihoods for war-affected people
- To improve access by the most vulnerable and least advantaged members of society to minimum levels of social protection and entitlement.
- To increase the effectiveness of civil society to address issues associated with social reconstruction and inclusion.
- To develop sustainable economic opportunities, and to improve social well-being.
CARE Serbia started its program in 1994 with large humanitarian assistance and reconstruction actions, aimed at refugees and internally displaced persons. Since the year 2000, CARE focuses its work on different development areas that contribute to civil society strengthening, such as: projects aimed at strengthening and integration of the Roma in areas of education, employment and community development, projects dealing with anti trafficking, reproductive health, youth activism, youth violence prevention, tolerance building, gender equality. So far, through CARE humanitarian and developmental projects, more than 70 million US dollars has been invested in Serbia.
At the moment, CARE International Serbia implements several national and regional projects: Empowerment and Integration of the Roma in the Vojvodina, Roma Empowerment Project (employment and education of the Roma in Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina), Chances and Choices for Roma Girls, Access to Sexual and Reproductive health Care for Uprooted people and Roma Women and Youth in South Serbia, Western Balkans Gender Based Violence Prevention Initiative and Strengthening of Anti Trafficking Networks in the Balkans.